Saturday, March 01, 2008

Tynemouth open-air swimming pool

I spent many a happy (1960's) school summer holiday here....it opened at 10.00am and closed when the clientele drifted away. They sold cups of hot Bovril and parma violets, so we didn't go hungry. The pool water temperature, displayed on a chalk board at the entrance kiosk, was always 10 degrees F warmer than the sea over the wall. I seem to remember that the manager was called Mr Peach, but then again I might be making that up! What I haven't forgotten is the way the slightly mildewed green canvas changing cubicle curtains were magnetically attracted to my bare back and the damp concrete floor sucked at my feet (while seductively whispering "verrucahs")

Watch the (silent, black and white, 1925) grand opening on British Pathe News

A couple of YouTube videos more my era....





But now.......



PS.....I was going to add in a bit about Hawkeys Lane open-air Baths in North Shields but the interwebs failed me......not a picture or a mention to be had!

2 comments:

Dahlia said...

I Have just viewed the film on Tynemouth open air pool and it brought many memories back. I am very keen to make this a listed building and would welcome any support. I have photos of the pool during the construction and the opening in 1925 .I have written letters to the local Council asking if something can be done to make it a viable venue for young families but I'm getting nowhere. You must agree that it's present state is an eyesore. I welcome any comments. Dahlia Woodhouse.

mo said...

Hi Dahlia....I'd be glad to support your 'listing' application....Tynemouth Pool was a big part of my (summer) teenage years and I'm still saddened by it's subsequent neglect. email me at...moclaydon at yahoo dot co dot uk

 
Clicky Web Analytics